According to a recent study commissioned by BENEO, most U.S. consumers are trying to limit their sugar intake, and many are trending toward sweeteners that are perceived as healthier options, such as honey.
Here are some highlights.
Consumers pay attention to sugar levels in their foods.
57% of respondents said they try to cut their sugar intake. Major reasons include:
- A healthy diet (58%)
- Weight management (56%)
- Tooth decay (37%)
- Diabetes (28%)
Consumers don’t want to give up sugar completely.
Respondents said they aren’t willing to forego sugar altogether, for reasons such as:
- Taste (58%)
- Sugar’s provision of “essential energy” (24%)
- Sugar’s role as a “mood food” (20%)
Natural sweeteners are considered more appealing than alternatives.
- Survey participants cited sugar from honey as the most appealing sweetener because it is natural.
- 65% said they prefer natural sugars to low-calorie sweeteners.
- 64% said sugars that are naturally derived from fruits, vegetables, and plants are healthier than other options.
In general, consumers are looking for nutritional foods.
Survey respondents said that they prefer foods that are:
- Clean label
- Free of “empty calories”
They look for foods that sustain energy levels through the day and help with:
- Weight management
- Healthy eating
- Disease prevention
Consumers know that sugars can have an impact on important health concerns.
Health concerns specifically cited by survey respondents include:
- Weight management (38%)
- Stress (35%)
- Fatigue (33%)