More than 50 million people are purchasing their groceries online, says a new study from the NPD group. The customers most likely to shop for groceries online are men, particularly those between 18 and 44.
Other key points from the study:
- Millennials and Gen Z are more likely to engage in online grocery shopping than other groups.
- More than 50% of Amazon Prime members buy groceries online.
- Of the consumers who buy groceries online, 63% are satisfied with the experience.
The market will likely continue to grow as companies adapt to increasing demand for digital commerce. Meanwhile, brick and mortar stores will need to take on the challenge of appealing to the tech-inclined generations to get them to shop in person.
- Prepared Foods, Who is Most Likely to Grocery Shop Online
- NPD, 52 Million Grocery Shop Online Now and Millions Plan to Increase Their Virtual Shopping Over Next Six Months
- NPD, Apps, Websites Making Grocery Shopping Less Eventful