February’s steady food price index is attributed to a small increase of the food away from home index (0.2%) and a slight decrease of the food at home index (0.2%).
All six grocery store food group price indexes fell in February. In the case of meat, poultry, fish, and eggs, it should be noted that the price index for eggs rose by 2.0% while the indexes for beef and pork fell.
- Meat, poultry, fish, and eggs: – 0.2%
- Cereals and bakery products: – 0.1%
- Dairy and related products: – 0.3%
- Fruits and vegetables: – 0.5%
- Nonalcoholic beverages: – 0.1%
- Other food from home: – 0.1%
The monthly price index for food at home has teetered back and forth between small increases and decreases over the past year, resulting in a total increase of 0.5% over the past year. Food away from home has seen small yet consistent upticks over the past several months, leading to a total increase of 2.6% over the past 12 months.