Wednesday 13th October 2021: Kerry, the world’s leading taste and nutrition company, today announces details of its accelerated sustainability targets to align with the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global temperature increases by 1.5 degrees Celsius. The company has increased its targets for Scope 1 and 2 carbon emissions reduction from 33% to 55% by 2030. This ambitious goal strengthens Kerry’s Beyond the Horizon sustainability strategy and commitments, including a target to halve its food waste and reach over two billion people with sustainable nutrition solutions by 2030. The company has also revised its social sustainability targets with the aim of achieving the highest levels of inclusion, belonging and engagement with equal gender representation at senior management by 2030.
The revised targets will require the introduction and acceleration of several initiatives across the company including:
- Moving to 100% renewable electricity within 12 months.
- Implementing energy efficiency programmes reducing onsite fuel consumption.
- By 2030, emission intensity will be reduced by 30% across the supply chain.
- 100% of priority raw materials will be responsibly sourced by 2030. The company’s packaging commitments will ensure that by 2025, 100% of all plastic used will be reusable, recyclable or compostable and that virgin plastic use will be reduced by 25%.
Kerry’s increased commitments are in line with the findings of the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report which reinforced the urgency of achieving emissions reductions in line with limiting global average temperature increase to 1.5°C before 2050 to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
Commenting on the announcement, Edmond Scanlon, Chief Executive Officer of Kerry, said:
“Kerry is committed to not only working to reduce its impact on the environment but also to collaborating with its suppliers and food and beverage companies globally to help support them achieve their sustainability targets. Through the creation of technology solutions, the expertise of our people and innovative ways of creating tasty and nutritious food and beverage products, we are working with our customers to help them move along the sustainable nutrition spectrum so they too can reduce their carbon emissions, food waste or water usage. The range and complexity of challenges our industry is facing right now is unprecedented with every product requiring its own specific Kerry solution.”
Examples of Kerry working with its customers to create sustainable solutions include:
- Sugar reduction taste solutions that deliver health and reduced environmental impact. https://www.kerry.com/insights/case-studies/reduce-added-sugar-in-soda
- Creating a high quality protein alternative using Kerry’s portfolio of plant-based ingredients and solutions: https://www.kerry.com/insights/case-studies/plant-based-poultry
- Probiotics and prebiotic pro-active health solutions that supports consumer wellbeing and enhanced lifestyle while reducing societal health costs. https://www.kerry.com/Insights/Case-Studies/On-Trend-Bakery-Product
For further examples please see: https://www.kerry.com/sustainability/solutions
About Kerry Group
Kerry is the world’s leading taste and nutrition partner for the food, beverage and pharmaceutical markets. We innovate with our customers to create great tasting products, with improved nutrition and functionality, while ensuring better impact for the planet. Our leading consumer insights, global RD&A team of 1,100+ food scientists and extensive global footprint enable us to solve our customers complex challenges with differentiated solutions. At Kerry, we are driven to be our customers’ most valued partner, creating a world of sustainable nutrition, and will reach over 2 billion consumers with sustainable nutrition solutions by 2030. For more information, visit www.kerrygroup.com.