In-House Expertise, Market Research, Supplier Relationships and Restaurant Tours Provide Pathway to Exclusive Brand Product Innovation
Company Announces New Climate-Conscious Product Innovation Category
ROSEMONT, Ill.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– US Foods Holding Corp. (NYSE: USFD) – one of America’s leading food service distributors – announced today the launch of Fall 2023 Scoop™. Themed “Innovation Starts Here,” the launch highlights 24 products and provides the inside scoop on how the company builds its innovation-based portfolio through in-house expertise, market research, supplier relationships and restaurant tours,which foster the development of products that reflect the latest menu trends, diner demands, and operator needs. The company’s commitment to innovation was recently recognized by Fortune Magazine, naming US Foods to its 2023 America’s Most Innovative Companies list. Fall Scoop similarly features the company’s newest category in its Serve Good™ portfolio – climate-conscious, innovative products that help contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
“We take great pride in keeping a pulse on product innovation and doing all of the legwork required to bring the most innovative and solutions-oriented products to our operators,” said Stacey Kinkaid, vice president of product development and innovation for US Foods. “Whether the operator’s focus is on driving traffic with a differentiated menu, standing out from the competitors, finding on-trend menu inspiration, addressing labor shortages or increasing profitability, Scoop’s innovative products are here to help our operators Make It.”
Fall Scoop is a culmination of inspiration and development, influenced by diner and operator trends. Product highlights include:
- Chef’s Line® Kimchi Fried Rice: Knowing that kimchi fried rice is expected to grow beyond 58 percent over the next four years1, Eric Clark, US Foods chef-turned-product-developer, “scoured the globe” to find the right partner to help the company develop its gold-star recipe. Made in Asia, the item delivers a bold and complex flavor in a labor-saving format that cooks in minutes when thawed.
- Patuxent Farms® Taiwanese-Style Salt & Pepper Popcorn Chicken: US Foods Senior Product Developer Stanley Wu drew inspiration from Taiwan’s vibrant street food markets and restaurant tours to develop an approachable and authentic on-trend golden brown popcorn chicken with the flavors of salt, pepper, and five spice with other natural flavors including soy and mirin flavors.
- Chef’s Line® Italian Asiago Stuffed Gnocchi: US Foods Senior Product Developer Amy Bracco attributes a strong relationship with her Italian supplier as the key to landing on the final formulation of this labor-saving product after three years of development. The product was perfected during a supplier facility visit to Italy when the cheeses were whisked to blend instead of paddled, resulting in a creamier filling texture for the gnocchi.
- Monarch® Sriracha Hot Honey: Hot honey is the fastest growing condiment on menus, and sriracha is projected to grow 31 percent over the next 4 years1. US Foods Associate Product Developer Jamie Burroughs aimed high to include two trending condiment offerings into this recipe: hot honey and the bold flavor of sriracha. The product uses Grade A wildflower honey combined with red chili peppers, vinegar and garlic from sriracha hot sauce. This highly versatile, labor-saving, ready-to-use condiment can also be used as a front-of-house squeeze bottle for condiment stations, bars or buffets.
- Monogram® Carbon-Negative2 Cutlery: This carbon-negative cutlery is made from a blend of greenhouse gas-derived biomaterial combined with traditional polypropylene and minerals, generating a negative carbon footprint. To achieve this combination, US Foods Senior Product Developer Sue Evans leveraged two key suppliers. It is the first product line launched under the new climate-conscious pillar in the Serve Good™ portfolio, which was developed to include products that help to contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gases. The Serve Good™ product portfolio offers more than 950 products that meet US Foods sustainability criteria, including products that are responsibly sourced or contribute to waste reduction.
Learn more about Fall Scoop on the company’s website at usfoods.com/fallscoop.
1 Datassential , 2023
2 Based on life cycle assessment of estimated emissions from raw materials through manufacturing and delivery to US Foods’ distribution centers verified by SCS Global Services per ISO 14044-2006. Electricity emissions include use of Renewable Energy Credits (RECs).
About US Foods
With a promise to help its customers Make It, US Foods is one of America’s great food companies and a leading foodservice distributor, partnering with approximately 250,000 restaurants and foodservice operators to help their businesses succeed. With 70 broadline locations and more than 85 cash and carry stores, US Foods and its 29,000 associates provides its customers with a broad and innovative food offering and a comprehensive suite of e-commerce, technology and business solutions. US Foods is headquartered in Rosemont, Ill. Visit www.usfoods.com to learn more.