The food and beverage industry made a good showing on this year’s Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI). The CEI measures companies on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer equality.
This year, 35 manufacturers and retailers scored a perfect 100, based on policies and initiatives in three key areas:
- Non-discrimination policies across business entities
- Equitable benefits for LGBTQ workers and their families
- Supporting an inclusive culture and corporate social responsibility
Food and beverage manufacturers and retailers scoring 100 on the 2019 CEI
|Anheuser-Busch Companies Inc.
Barilla America Inc.
Burger King Corp.
Campbell Soup Co.
The Coca-Cola Company
Conagra Brands In.
Constellation Brands Inc.
Danone North America
Diageo North America
Dunkin’ Brands Group Inc.
E&J Gallo Winery
General Mills Inc.
GIANT Food Stores, LLC
|Giant of Maryland, LLC
The Hershey Co.
International Flavors and Fragrances
The Kraft Heinz Company
The Kroger Co.
Nestlé Purina PetCare Co.
Nestlé USA Inc.
Pernod Ricard USA LLC
Shake Shack Inc
Several suppliers to the food and beverage industry also made the list, including Ecolab, Emerson, and Rockwell Automation.
Policies and practices that support LGBTQ equality are becoming more important for businesses. Millennials and Gen Z prize corporate social responsibility, which includes diversity and inclusion, when making both purchasing and employment decisions.
- Almost 70% of Millennials actively consider company values when making a purchase (Forrester).
- 75% of Millennials expect their employers to take a stand on social issues (Glassdoor).
- 15% of Millennials and 22% of Gen Z feel ranked LGBT among the top three areas of diversity that businesses need to address (Deloitte).