August was the third consecutive month that the food price index remained unchanged, according to the most recent CPI report.
Food from home
The price index for food at home dropped 0.2% in August, the third consecutive monthly decrease. Price changes were mixed among the grocery store food group indexes. The biggest fluctuations were seen in the indexes for eggs (-2.5%) and fresh fruits (-1.4%).
- Meat, poultry, fish, and eggs: -0.7% (vs. +0.1% in July)
- Cereals and bakery products: -0.3% (vs. +0.3% in July)
- Dairy and related products: +0.2% (vs. -0.3% in July)
- Fruits and vegetables: -0.5% (vs. +0.3% in July)
- Nonalcoholic beverages: No change (vs. -0.4% in July)
- Other food from home: +0.3% (vs. -0.7% in July)
Overall, the index for food at home has increased 0.5% over the past 12 months.
Food away from home
Prices for food away from home rose 0.2% in August, the same increase as in July.
- Limited service meals: +0.2%
- Full service meals: +0.2%
Over the past 12 months, the price index for food away from home has increased by 3.2%.