Food manufacturers that are struggling to hire and retain talent would do well to look to Mars, the only food manufacturer to be recognized by Fortune on its 100 Best Companies to Work For list, coming in at #98. This is the eighth consecutive appearance for Mars on the list.

Fortune’s list is determined by people analytics firm Great Place to Work, which conducts the country’s largest ongoing annual workforce study. Employees answer 60 questions, most (85%) of which focus on how they evaluate their “experiences of trust and reaching their full human potential as part of the organization.” The other 15% assess “employees’ daily experiences of the company’s values, people’s ability to contribute new ideas, and the effectiveness of their leaders.”

Overall, 84% of Mars employees say it is a great place to work, compared to 59% of employees at a typical U.S.-based company. The vast majority of employees also agreed with the following statements:

  • When you join the company, you are made to feel welcome. (93%)
  • I am able to take time off from work when I think it’s necessary. (91%)
  • I’m proud to tell others I work here. (91%)
  • I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community. (90%)
  • People here are given a lot of responsibility. (89%)

Mars offers up to 26 days of paid time off, plus 5 sick days. They provide inclusive benefits, including health insurance for part-timers, as well as career mentoring programs and community volunteering opportunities. The company also has several perks that appeal to today’s workers:

  • Telecommuting
  • Compressed work weeks
  • On-site fitness/subsidized gym
  • On-side medical care facility
  • College tuition reimbursement

Mars is also doing better than the average manufacturing company on diversity initiatives: 35.3% of its employees are women, and 26.7% are minorities. (Read new research that suggests diversity may be the key to weathering the next recession.)

“Our Associates are making a difference for people, pets, and the planet – that’s what inspires me every day,” Anton Vincent, President, Mars Wrigley North America, said in a press release. “I’m proud to celebrate our Associates for playing such an important role in helping to create a better tomorrow and thankful that once again Mars is celebrated as a top employer in the U.S.”

Supplier Catalog - IPM