Food at home
Prices for food at home also increased by 0.4% last month, following a 0.3% decline in November. Four out of the six major grocery store groups had price gains over the course of December — including nonalcoholic beverages and other food at home, which had significant price drops the month before.
- Nonalcoholic beverages: +1.1% (-0.9% in November)
- Dairy and related products: +0.8% (+0.3% in November)
- Other food at home: +0.7% (-0.6% in November)
- Cereals and bakery products: +0.4% (-0.5% in November)
- Meats, poultry, fish, and eggs: -0.2% (+0.1% in November)
- Fruits and vegetables: -0.2% (unchanged in November)
Over the past year, the food at home index climbed by 3.9%. Prices increased for all six grocery store groups during this period, ranging from 3.2% (cereals and bakery products, fruits and vegetables) to 4.6% (meats, poultry, fish, and eggs).
Food away from home
The food away from home index went up by 0.4% in December, coming after a 0.1% increase in November. Both limited service and full service meals experienced price growth:
- Limited service meals: +0.5%
- Full service meals: +0.3%
This brings the 12-month index for food away from home up to +3.9%, with limited service meals at +6.0% for the period and full service meals at +3.0%.