Somewhere around 20,000 new food and beverage products are introduced each year. Not all of them make it (remember purple ketchup?), but this number illustrates the highly competitive environment in which food and beverage companies operate.
What can you do to make sure your products stand out on the shelves? According to a new survey by labeling solutions provider Luminer, the top three packaging features that draw shoppers’ attention are:
- peel-off labels,
- recognizable logos, and
- bright/attractive colors.
In the survey, almost 6 in 10 respondents said a peel-off label draws their attention, and 9 in 10 said a peel-off instant savings coupon would make them more likely to buy the product. When asked why they notice these labels, 68% said it’s because they “stick out” from the package.
What consumers don’t like also has a huge impact on their purchasing behavior. The biggest turn-offs are labels that don’t provide enough information about the product and brands/manufacturers that are unfamiliar. And almost one-third said they have disliked a label so much that they’ve decided not to buy the product.
Finally, Luminer found that a bit over half (56%) of respondents would choose a product with eco-friendly/sustainable packaging over a similar product without. But, in contrast to what might be expected, nearly 7 in 10 said they‘re not willing to pay more for the environmentally friendly packaging.
The survey results suggest some clear actions food and beverage processors can take as we head into 2018, which will likely bring another 20,000 products to the shelves:
- Use peel-off labels, preferably with instant savings coupons.
- Provide detailed information about your products (this fits with the current demand for more transparency).
- Don’t skimp on your marketing budget — those dollars spent on brand awareness are well worth it to ensure your logo is recognizable.
- Use environmentally friendly packaging, but avoid having it add to the cost of your product.
For more insights, read the full study.